Our Education Philosophy
ALL children can learn…
…and their earliest years yield the most rapid growth and development. Therefore, collaboration between home and school as well as integrated classrooms are valued components of any child’s educational experience. At HCA, our role is to help facilitate every student’s play, self-help, language, motor, and cognitive development through age-appropriate activities.
All preschool programs at HCA nurture and teach children with special needs alongside their typically developing peers, offering an enriching and diverse environment for each student.
Building Blocks Preschool
Broad Street location, Johnson City, NY
- Integrated classrooms for children 3 to 5 years old where children with special needs and their typically developing peers learn together. Morning or afternoon sessions available.
- Classroom Hours – 8:30-11:30 a.m. and 1:00-4:00 p.m.
- 2019-2020 Typical Preschool Tuition Rates: 2x per week – $175/month; 3x per week – $230/month; 5x per week – $335/month.
For more information on availability and tuition rates, call our Education Director Lynn Gilyard at (607) 798-7117 x309.
MacArthur School, Binghamton, NY
- Integrated Universal Pre-K classroom for children 4 years old where children with special needs and their typically developing peers learn together. Six hour program.
- Classroom hours – 7:50 a.m.-1:50 p.m.
- For children who live in the Johnson City School District, four years old and turning 5 after December 1, and will be attending kindergarten the following year. There is no charge for tuition as Johnson City School District provides funding for the program.
- Broad St. and Linnaeus W. West site in Endicott, NY.
- Morning/afternoon sessions available – 8:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. or 1:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.
- For children age 4, turning 5 after December 1, who live in the Union-Endicott School District and will be attending kindergarten the following year: Linnaeus W. West School site program is free and runs 8:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
- Certified teachers
- Open enrollment
- Attendance options (2,3, or 5 times per week)
- 2 teachers per class
- Field trips
- Parent conferences
- Nurse on-site (Broad Street site)
- Open door policy (Parents are always welcome)
Click here to download a preschool registration packet.
HCA, with assistance from the United Way of Broome County, provides developmental screenings to local children 0-5 years old. These screenings are offered free of charge by HCA at one of our many collaborating agencies. Areas examined include cognition, language, motor skills, and social skills.
In addition, for those students who require further evaluations HCA is able to provide the following:
- Early Intervention Core Evaluations
- Early Intervention Supplemental Evaluations
- Psychological Assessments
- Child Development Evaluations
- Occupational Therapy Evaluations
- Physical Therapy Evaluations
- Speech and Language Evaluations
- Audiological Evaluations
Screenings can be scheduled by calling HCA at (607) 798-7117. If further evaluations are recommended, HCA will provide assistance in obtaining these evaluations in conjunction with the county and school district.