Our Education Philosophy
ALL children can learn…
…and their earliest years yield the most rapid growth and development. Therefore, collaboration between home and school as well as integrated classrooms are valued components of any child’s educational experience. At HCA, our role is to help facilitate every student’s play, self-help, language, motor, and cognitive development through age-appropriate activities.
All preschool programs at HCA nurture and teach children with special needs alongside their typically developing peers, offering an enriching and diverse environment for each student.
Building Blocks Preschool – Three Locations
Broad Street location, Johnson City, NY
- Integrated classrooms for children 3 to 5 years old where children with special needs and their typically developing peers learn together. Morning or afternoon sessions available.
- Classroom Hours – 8:30-11:30 a.m. and 1:00-4:00 p.m.
Discovery Center, Binghamton, NY
- Integrated classrooms for children 3 to 5 years old where children with special needs and their typically developing peers learn together. Morning only sessions available.
- Classroom hours – 8:30-11:30 a.m.
MacArthur School, Binghamton, NY
- Integrated classrooms for children 4 years old where children with special needs and their typically developing peers learn together. Six hour program.
- Classroom hours – 7:50 a.m.-1:50 p.m.
For more information on availability and tuition rates, call our Education Director Gail Holleran at (607) 798-7117 x329.
- For children who live in the Johnson City School District and will be attending kindergarten the following year
- Broad St. site
- Morning/afternoon sessions
- Certified teachers
- Open enrollment
- Attendance options (2,3, or 5 times per week)
- 2 teachers per class
- Field trips
- Parent conferences
- Nurse on-site (Broad Street site)
- Open door policy (Parents are always welcome)
HCA, with assistance from the United Way of Broome County, provides developmental screenings to local children 0-5 years old. These screenings are offered free of charge by HCA at one of our many collaborating agencies. Areas examined include cognition, language, motor skills, and social skills.
In addition, for those students who require further evaluations HCA is able to provide the following:
- Early Intervention Core Evaluations
- Early Intervention Supplemental Evaluations
- Psychological Assessments
- Child Development Evaluations
- Occupational Therapy Evaluations
- Physical Therapy Evaluations
- Speech and Language Evaluations
- Audiological Evaluations
Screenings can be scheduled by calling HCA at (607) 798-7117. If further evaluations are recommended, HCA will provide assistance in obtaining these evaluations in conjunction with the county and school district.